Check out the latest Crash Course above to find out!
Some key points:
- The sterilization process is strictly governed by ISO and USP standards.
- Sterilization is used for things like items used in surgery and other medical devices.
- During the bioreduction process, a sterilization-level dose which generally eliminates most microbes is applied to the products, but the sterility level isn’t officially validated and the products cannot be marketed as “sterile.”
- Bioreduction is used for things like labware and some cosmetics.
- Whether you need sterilization or bioreduction, the electrons kill the microbes either by the destruction of a vital molecule, such as the DNA, or through an indirect chemical reaction.